For the vast majority of children, getting dental fillings is just a normal part of growing up. Because kids don’t always brush and floss thoroughly, they’re more prone to developing cavities. And once cavities form, it’s important to have them filled right away – before they have a chance to grow larger. Dr. Smitherman and her staff of trained dental professionals are accustomed to working with children of all ages, and dental fillings is one of the many children’s dental services she offers to her Austin, TX area patients.
Reasons to Visit Austin Family Dentistry for Children’s Fillings
- It’s important to have a cavity filled right away, before it becomes painful or develops into an abscess
- Dr. Smitherman offers parents the choice of several different filling materials, and she can help you to decide which is best for your child
- We offer a variety of sedation techniques to make your child as comfortable as possible during any dental procedure
Why Fill Baby Teeth?
If your child has a cavity in a baby tooth, it might be tempting to simply ignore it. After all, eventually your child will lose his or her baby teeth when the permanent teeth begin to erupt. But there are several important reasons why you should have cavities filled in baby teeth:
- Baby teeth (also called “primary” teeth) affect your child’s permanent teeth by guiding where the permanent teeth come in and when they erupt
- Making sure your child’s baby teeth are in good conditions ensures that he or she can chew properly, and that plays a huge role in maintaining good nutrition
- Baby teeth affect the development of speech patterns in young children
- Making certain that your child’s smile is as attractive and healthy-looking as possible will increase your child’s self-esteem and confidence
Contact Austin Family Dentistry Today for More Information
To schedule an appointment for your child, contact our Austin, TX office today. Dr. Smitherman would be happy to provide more information regarding fillings, as well as discuss your child’s overall oral health. We are looking forward to hearing from you!