Root canals are typically recommended as a way of saving a badly decayed tooth. While some patients may cringe at the thought of a root canal, it’s important to know that this procedure is one of the most commonly performed procedures in dentistry and the actual process is relatively simple to complete. Dr. Smitherman performs many root canals each year for her patients in the Austin, TX area.
Top Reasons to Visit Austin Family Dentistry for Root Canals
- The fees charged by Austin Family Dentistry for root canals are reasonable and compare favorably with other dental offices in this area
- Root canals are often a very effective means of saving a badly decayed tooth, and it’s important to do whatever is necessary in order to save your natural teeth
- Root canals can alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms that often come with infection, such as a severe toothache, headache, and/or sensitivity to cold and hot food and drinks
How to Know If You Need a Root Canal
There are times when the pulp of the tooth becomes infected. This typically happens when a tooth is badly decayed. That type of infection may have no symptoms at all, but usually there are some very uncomfortable signs that the pulp of a tooth is infected and requires a root canal. Those symptoms may include one or more of the following:
- A very bad toothache that worsens when pressure is applied on the tooth
- A tooth that becomes discolored
- Gums that become swollen and/or tender gums around the affected tooth
- A developing sensitivity to hot and cold
About the Procedure
Root canals usually require two trips to our Austin, TX office. The procedure involves Dr. Smitherman removing the nerve and the pulp from inside of the affected tooth, then cleaning the tooth and sealing it. Because a tooth doesn’t need either pulp or nerves to function, removing the infected part of the tooth usually saves it and restores it to being fully functional once again.
Call Austin Family Dentistry Today
If you believe that you may need a root canal, or for more information, contact our Austin, TX office today. We would be happy to schedule an appointment for you or any member of your family.